I am a new landlord due to let my former home to a tenant of a friend of mine at the end of March.
I have downloaded the AST from your website which I intend to use, however, I feel I need some general advice and some answers to specific questions at this stage:
1. Is there a pack / document of general points to remember when letting a property for the first time?
2. My tenant is moving in on 30th March, before the TDS comes into effect. Will I need to insure / deposit the money in accordance with the new legislation on 6th April?
3. My tenant is recommended and my friend has copies of references she took out 2 years ago. Should I take out my own references?
4. Do I need to have the property checked for fire / gas / elec safety, and if so, can you help me locate a suitable person and advise on cost?
5. Is there an insurance policy I can take out that will protect me against non-payment of rent.
6. Can I insist that my tenant takes out contents insurance to cover both his and my possessions within the flat?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Want to read more?
This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.