Tenants want to leave within contract because Landlord is being chased by creditors

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Tenants want to leave within contract because Landlord is being chased by creditors
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
10 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a situation where one of the properties I manage has been re-let recently on a 12 month contract to lovely tenants (they have already been there for 6 months). The Landlord had no history of bad debts and everything was ok with the tenancy until now (9 months.

The Landlord has suddenly decided to sell at auction even though he only re-signed 3 months ago on a 12 month contract. The tenants have phoned me several times saying that they have received phone calls at the property and letters stating that the Landlord owes money and asking for his contact details.

Furthermore, the tenant's friend rang the auction house pretending to be interested in buying the property, and was told that there were tenants living there but they could be evicted with 2 months notice if necessary (this is obviously not true because their AST runs to 22nd December). This has unsettled the tenants who now wish to leave,.

The tenants have viewed another house on our books and want to move into it. Where do they stand as we cannot get hold of the Landlord? We have tried to contact the Landlord by various means but he will not respond. I have told the tenants they are officially tied to the contract and could be sued if they leave early, but they are planning to leave anyway. As a letting agent will I be sued by the Landlord if they do leave? What are the implications for me and for the tenants?

Thanks

Kelly

28/03/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband