Tenant wishes to remain in flat

You are here : Member Forums Other Tenant wishes to remain in flat
S
SMB
9 Posts
0 Thanks

2 tenants moved into my flat 3 years ago and signed a 12 month tenancy agreement. At the end of 12 months they remained in the flat as periodic tenants for almost 2 years. They were sent notice in August 2016 advising of rent increase and the need to sign a new tenancy agreement but ignored the letter and several reminders. Eventually they paid the increased rent in January but did not sign the new tenancy agreement. One of the tenants however gave notice that he was leaving the flat which he did at the end of February. The other tenant however wishes to remain in the flat and find someone else to share . I agreed provided a new tenant has acceptable references. So far he has not found anyone and has stated he doesn't want to do so for another month or two. He paid the rent for February but doesn't want to sign a new lease. My concern is are the 2 original tenants still responsible according to the terms of the original tenancy agreement? Can there be problems if I allow him to remain in the flat if he continues to refuse to sign a new lease? Can you advise please

17/03/2017 11:43

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband