My bathroom ceiling is showing signs of a water leak or spillage from the apartment above.

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy My bathroom ceiling is showing signs of a water leak or spillage from the apartment above.
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
PJB Rentals
152 Posts
0 Thanks
My apartment is in a newly built (3 years old) block of 16 leasehold apartments.
Each floor has identical layouts, with four apartments per floor, so the bathroom in the flat above mine is directly above my identical bathroom. The NHBC 10 year insurance policy is still in place.

My apartment was freshly painted from top to bottom at the end of Feb 2007 and at the time there was no sign of any previous leaks or water penetration from above or from anywhere else. (My decorator and his partner can confirm this.)

My tenant rang to advise me that the bathroom ceiling now has a fresh watermark along the length of the bathroom but he was not able to contact anyone living in the flat above him to determine the cause.

I have now managed to contact the owner of the flat above, another landlord, but he does not appear to believe he has any responsibility or liability for my damp ceiling and was non committal.

I am a little uncertain about what to do next. We have managing agents for the whole building managing communal areas on behalf of the freeholder, should I contact them?

Common sense suggests I need to identify the source of this water, but how do I do this where party walls and other people's property are involved? I have been told that the bathroom pipes all pass through the same cavity/ service area, so do I need to identify which is the offending pipe(s), and if so how? There are two floors above my flat.

11/04/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions