tenant refusing to pay for damage

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits tenant refusing to pay for damage
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
Tubs
4 Posts
0 Thanks

Hello everyone, I'm new to the lettings game and so far my first experience hasn't been a great one. I put it down to naivety and thinking people will have the same level of respect as I have for other people's property.
To cut a long story short I have just evicted my tenants, after being fed up of the constant, mysterious damages that kept occurring during their tenancy. When checking the property after their eviction I discovered 2 internal doors have been punched, creating a fist sized hole and then badly patched up, all without my knowledge.
Also, a brand new fridge freezer that was supplied to them is riddled with various sized dents in multiple places.
They refuse to take responsibility for the damage, citing it as wear and tear, refusing to allow the quotes to be deducted from their deposit held under the TDS.
I will be raising a dispute with the TDS as I have everything documented in the check in and out reports. But the impression I get from reading all the guides is that the tenants will most likely only be made to pay only a small contribution towards the replacements costs(which given their attitude just makes me frustrated).
Is this correct and is there anything else I can help bolster my claim?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

17/05/2017 15:43

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband