MCOL against tenant who has vacated early but not paid rent

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion MCOL against tenant who has vacated early but not paid rent
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
AbbeyLandlord
4 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi... Newbie here asking for a bit of advice.
I have a tenant who has vacated the house 8 months before the joint AST agreement end date. He has failed to pay rent for the last 3 months. His argument is that he has tried to find a replacement tenant to no avail and he thinks that it is down to the fact that the house is messy / unrentable. There are 6 other tenants living there and no one else has complained. I have filed a MCOL online for the rent arrears to the guarantor after numerous requests for payment and notice of legal action. She has subsequently submitted a counterclaim stating that the house is dirty and unrentable and is asking for £150 for advertising the house for a replacement tenant and trips to the house to clean. I now have to fill in a directions questionnaire but unsure how to proceed. Is mediation a good route to take initially? Does she have a valid counterclaim? Where do I stand? If it does go to court what are my chAnces of winning this case considering it is a signed AST!?

28/05/2017 22:28

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband