Water with high ammonia levels seeping through from neighbouring property saturating bathroom vinyl.

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Water with high ammonia levels seeping through from neighbouring property saturating bathroom vinyl.
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
Dev_292
22 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi,

I've had ongoing damp problems with a basement flat. Had insurance company out last year who found the cause of the saturated floor to be a leaky bath which was fixed and the flooring replaced. New tenants recently complained of bad smell in bathroom so had a drain survey and jet wash - all found to be clear, however they found a hole in the neighbouring wall which had previously been been tanked (the other side of the wall is earth with the neighbours bottom flat starting a bit higher up) and water was seeping through with a lot of smelly standing water under the bath tub. Had the water tested and it showed high levels of ammonia suggesting this could be from a leaky pipe next door. The neighbouring landlord has reluctantly agreed to have a drain survey.
So, 2 questions:
1) As the tenants have only recently moved in and this may require major remedial work requiring them to move out, can I ask them to leave before the end of contract? Am I obliged to find alternative accom them? I am worried about the impact of the dirty water on them (they have a child) so am wondering how best to quickly rectify the situation.
2) What legal rights have I got with the neighbour?

Thanks

18/06/2017 11:37

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband