Water with high ammonia levels seeping through from neighbouring property saturating bathroom vinyl.

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Water with high ammonia levels seeping through from neighbouring property saturating bathroom vinyl.
D
Dev_292
22 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi,

I've had ongoing damp problems with a basement flat. Had insurance company out last year who found the cause of the saturated floor to be a leaky bath which was fixed and the flooring replaced. New tenants recently complained of bad smell in bathroom so had a drain survey and jet wash - all found to be clear, however they found a hole in the neighbouring wall which had previously been been tanked (the other side of the wall is earth with the neighbours bottom flat starting a bit higher up) and water was seeping through with a lot of smelly standing water under the bath tub. Had the water tested and it showed high levels of ammonia suggesting this could be from a leaky pipe next door. The neighbouring landlord has reluctantly agreed to have a drain survey.
So, 2 questions:
1) As the tenants have only recently moved in and this may require major remedial work requiring them to move out, can I ask them to leave before the end of contract? Am I obliged to find alternative accom them? I am worried about the impact of the dirty water on them (they have a child) so am wondering how best to quickly rectify the situation.
2) What legal rights have I got with the neighbour?

Thanks

18/06/2017 11:37

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband