Couple split up and one tenant wants to remain in property but there is an arrears problem

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Couple split up and one tenant wants to remain in property but there is an arrears problem
R
rlamanchester
68 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi

A couple have rented a property for a few years and they have split up and the man has moved out and given me written notice.The lady wants to remain in with her children and her working/home owner father will be guarantor.

She has paid the rent for the last two months and wants a new ast in her name to claim benefits as she is long term ill. However there are 2 months outstanding rent from payments her ex boyfriend did not pay. I have told her a new ast cannot be given in her name as there is 2 months rent to sort out. Her ex has promised to pay it but I don't think that will happen.

Should I issue a section 21 but if the arrears are sorted not enforce it? The remaining tenant is fundamentally an ok person and the house is in an area where reliable tenants are hard to find. In addition her ex boyfriend dogs have not made the house very attractive and a refurb would be costly.

So in a perfect world I would prefer to keep her there.

Any advice appreciated

28/06/2017 12:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband