Commission on Periodic Tenancy & TDS fee

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Commission on Periodic Tenancy & TDS fee
J
joatmon
4 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi,
I used a London estate agents to find a tenant and paid commission on the 12 month contract. This contract is ending in September and I would like the tenancy to continue on a periodic basis. The agents state that they still charge commission on this periodic basis (I haven't experienced this with any other agent). They say they will invoice every 6 months and if the tenants leave they will provide a pro rata refund. My query is are estate agents allowed to charge for a tenancy continuing on a periodic basis? And if so - is it not just a way of "forcing" me to renew the contract anyway as commission charges will be the same (less admin fees). Their T&Cs state: "This commission remains due and payable in relation to any extension, renewal or continuation of the occupancy contract whether or not said agent is involved in the said extension". I understand their T&Cs suggest that the commission remains payable but I'm asking more as to whether this fee is allowed.
On top of this they also say they require a £50 for the TDS. I've recently received correspondence from the TDS that states if the tenancy runs on a periodic basis there is no need to re-register the deposit and therefore I'm wondering where this £50 comes from and if the agent is entitled to charge it?
I thank you in advance for you response.

29/06/2017 17:01

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband