Landlord lives in the same block of flats??

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Landlord lives in the same block of flats??
R
Richard F
10 Posts
2 Thanks

I own a house converted into 7 self contained flats. I lived in several of them at different times between about 2001 and 2008, whilst renting the others out.

In todays RLA E-News the Call of The Week was from a landlord who lives in a flat above his tenant. RLA advised that he shouldnt use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, and should use a Non Assured Tenancy.

They further advised that, in this situation, Sec8 and Sec 21 dont apply. The article explains notice to quit, which can be shorter than an AST, but what about rent arrears, EPCs, Right to Rent, Deposit Protection, and so on?

Given that many landlords will be living in this sort of situation and them and their agents will be blindly using ASTs, is there somewhere on the site that explains all the rules etc. relating to Non Assured Tenancies, in the same way as Assured Shorthold Tenancies.

I ask because it is always possible that I might find myself in a situation where I/we move into one of our flats - in fact what happens where you have a property full of tenants with ASTs, then you move into one of the flats?

Seems like a complete minefield that most of us, (and our agents), probably knew little/nothing about :(

Many Thanks

Richard

This member has been thanked by 2 members for this post.
13/07/2017 10:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband