Damage to property caused by neighbour

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Damage to property caused by neighbour
Landlord Z
3 Posts
1 Thanks


Please could you help me - I am unsure of the procedure to get my neighbour to fix damage to my property. The flat above mine had some plumbing issues which resulted in a slow leak. One day my tenant noticed that there was mould and damp on the ceiling in both the lounge and kitchen. We contacted the managing agents of the building ASAP and some time later they assured us that the leak was fixed by the landlord above. However, he has refused our request to make good the damage to our property (which now needs the ceiling in 2 rooms fixed and painted). He has offered us 10% of the cost of fixing it as he figures it was a slow leak and our tenant should have noticed it sooner. We cannot contact him as the managing agent cannot give us his details. His tenant says that he refuses to fix issues in his own flat, so this is unsurprising.

On principle I think he is wrong and should pay more than 10% (if not all) of the cost of fixing the damage his leaky pipes caused. How do I take this forward if I want to take him to small claims court? How do we serve notice if we don't know his name or contact details? Is there any other way of getting him to pay to fix the damage?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

18/07/2017 09:07

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Landlord Broadband

Share this page