Right to rent

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Right to rent
J
John Mac
3 Posts
0 Thanks

My tenants started renting In August 2015 and I paid a letting agency to manage the Tenancy. I am about to take over managing the Tenancy myself and all my paperwork is already in place thanks to advice from the RLA. However, the letting agency did not at any stage do a right to rent check. Since the first Tenancy agreement was signed in August 2015 was the agent exempt from performing this check or could we argue that they were in breach of their contract with me?

Also, if the tenant reports a problem such as damp, how long to I have to get the problem remedied by a builder before my ability to serve a section 21 is invalidated?

Finally, the driveway was badly renovated many years ago and is in need of some drainage modification work. The tenant has offered to do this for me himself free of charge as he is good at DIY. Would I be unwise to accept this kind offer from the tenant rather than pay an independent builder to do the work?

Many thanks

24/08/2017 20:53

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband