Change of joint tenant

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Change of joint tenant
S
Sam74
4 Posts
1 Thanks

I have a property currently let to two joint tenants & have been informed that one of the tenants wants to leave (can no longer afford to live there) but that the remaining tenant has found another party to become the new joint tenant. In principle this seems ok to me as the tenancy will continue & my risk of rent arrears is reduced however I want to check I'm following the correct procedure to prevent any issues further down the line. I am intending to credit check/ reference the proposed joint tenant & get all parties to complete a Deed of Assignment form, is there anyhting else I should do with respect to legal responsibilities to the tenant (e.g. right to rent, copy EPC/ gas certs etc.) & the deposit (which I understand was contributed to jointly by the original joint tenants & is held with the DPS)? Do I need to get the incoming tenant to sign a new inventory?

04/09/2017 14:24

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband