Can the Council breach Data Protection with Private Tenants information

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Can the Council breach Data Protection with Private Tenants information
A
AKA
7 Posts
0 Thanks

I have a property in East London which is under the London Borough of Waltham Foroest. I had to apply for a PRPL (Private Rented Property Licence) with them, and they inspected the property as well as all my electrical and fire safety certificates prior to issuing the PRPL licence. At the the property was empty.

Today I received an email from the PRPL dept at LBWF that asks the following:

"Can you please keep me update with when property is rented out as I will need to see a copy of the tenancy agreements and references."

Whilst I can appreciate that the council tax department needs to know the names of the tenants for council tax reasons, can the council insist that I provide all the references that will be given to me about the new tenants? Does this request not breach Data Protection as it is information that was for me and no one else?

Any advice on how to respond to the PRPL too would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ayshe

28/09/2017 00:29

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband