I was sued without my knowledge

You are here : Member Forums Other I was sued without my knowledge
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
Distraught
10 Posts
0 Thanks

I received a pack from a solicitor this morning for a claim for £17,000+ in expenses for a court case where one of my tenants prosecuted me for neglect of the property. I am to attend court this Thursday for compensation to be assesed and claimed between £5,000 and £15,000. I have already been found guilty as I never received any summons. Apparently the court summons was delivered in February to my property agent and because it was closed teh Royal mail delivered it to a neighbour. I never received it and knew nothing about this until this morning.
I have spent over £20,000 in repairs on the property and have always agreed to wors needing done as per request of the agent. Also I am sure I never signed the lease so it appears the agent never asked me to sign it but went ahead and renewed without my knowledge.
I am desperately upset over the injustice of this as I am a good landlord who most definitely cares about my tenants well-being. I am sure my agent has done the repairs as she is a kind and professional person. How can I be found guilty without me being informed of any legal proceedings? Surely the judgement will have to be recalled so I can argue my case? Is there any way my agent is responsible and not me? Is there any insurance as an RLA member that covers me for such a case?

21/10/2017 17:13

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions