electricity supply to apartments

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy electricity supply to apartments
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
H
house buyer
10 Posts
1 Thanks
Last year I bought three apartments in a development of 63 apartments. These are all located on the upper floors of a Victorian building, with offices on the lower three floors. It appears that there is one main incoming electricity supply that serves the entire building, and the developer took supplies to each apartment from this. Now each apartment has an individual metered electricity supply, but it is connected to the main incoming meter.

The building management company says that it is not possible for the occupants of each apartment to choose their supplier, and are aportioning costs quarterly based on the electricity consumption of each apartment. The company is adding a 10% service charge for this as it says it is acting as a supplier, and "is legally able to do so". The bills for appartments vary hugely, and bills are incurred even when the distribution board is turned off and the apartments are vacant. However, the meters continue to turn.

The tenants are refusing to pay, and the management company is billing the landlord, refusing to enter into agreements with the tenants.

When I bought these I was not aware that this was the situation. If I had known, I would not have bought them.

What can I do to addres the problem? So far I have had to pay over 2000 in electricity costs which I have not been able to recalaim from my tenants.

I can be contacted on 07770 888652.

Many thanks

Dorian

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
18/05/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions