Section 8,10, 11, 21 awarded - facing counter claim and encouraged to wipe out court ruling!

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Section 8,10, 11, 21 awarded - facing counter claim and encouraged to wipe out court ruling!
M
Member Brighton336
1 Posts
0 Thanks

I have just won a court case to remove a tenant who stopped paying rent (for over 8 months) and changed the locks - refusing to cooperate with the property agent. The back rent and counsels fees have been awarded and are close to £30k. I should be happy but the tenant has filed a counter-claim claiming I am culpable for the harassment suffered by her co-tenants and for a breach of 'quiet enjoyment'. My solicitor is encouraging me to wipe out the debt if she drops the counter-claim. My counsel acknowledges this tenant has no grounds for winning the counter-claim but my court costs are escalating and this tenant has 'no visible assets'. I'm looking for advice from more seasoned landlords and others in this forum. Should I walk away from this case or should I pursue? I have read about recovering debt from a court judgment but what is the reality like? Is it more effort than benefit? Any advice would be so gratefully received.

24/11/2017 08:55

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband