Abandonment

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
cudham1
15 Posts
6 Thanks

Hi,
I have a tenant who has abandoned a tenancy, a flat, removed all her belongings & valuables, left very early on the 2nd december. I have a signed statement to this effect from a neigbouring tenant. She had rent arrears of £2.5k. I inspected the flat after issuing the required notice by text message, email & letter. There's no power on as her prepayment meter was in debt. Also the shower room is badly affected with mould as a consequence of her locating the master switch for the extractor fan and turning it off to save electricity costs. Its never been reported to me as a maintenance issue (she was avoiding me like the plague due to the arrears situation!)
The only item she has left is bed linen.
However, she has NOT left or returned the keys.....which leaves me in a grey area regarding surrender and implied surrender?
Am I best to issue a section 8? i've had conflicting advice about this....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Also, am I able to go ahead straightaway with the required maintenance in the shower room?

16/12/2017 07:16

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions