End of tenancy - should I give 2 months notice?

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management End of tenancy - should I give 2 months notice?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
marg
60 Posts
4 Thanks

I'd be grateful for advice on the following:
My current tenants are renting whilst having their own (newly purchased) home renovated/ building works done. They expected work to be finished during February.
We have a (9 month) AST until 8th March 2018.
I would be happy if they wanted to stay longer, but would like to know.

However am I right in my understanding that if I dont give them 2 months notice (ie by 7 Jan?), then the AST will automatically become a periodic tenancy, and they will have the right to stay. Could just leave on 8 March without giving any notice, or would they have to give me a months notice even if they wanted to leave on March 8th?
I could ask them, but of course any answer they give me wouldn't be binding - they may not even be able to know for sure themselves until very near the time (knowing builders).
If I give them the 2 months notice are we then compelled to end the tenancy agreement if they later found that they would need to stay longer?

20/12/2017 02:09

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband