Tenant reported water ingress with delay, issue resolved now but what would you have done?

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Tenant reported water ingress with delay, issue resolved now but what would you have done?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Y
Yet_Another_Landlord
21 Posts
2 Thanks

The issue I'm writing about happened in 2015 and long resolved but I am revisiting the problem because I want to understand legislation and views better on tenant responsibility when something escalates due to late reporting.

There was water damage in my rental's bathroom from the flat above mine a couple of years ago - very common.
It took a little while to resolve because there were a couple of leaks, not just the one, so conditions were damp though there was no mould.
Simultaneously, there was also a tiling problem in that the grout let through water that caused damp patches on the wall of the adjacent bedroom. I didn't know this until it got pretty bad because the tenant whose bedroom it was didn't let me know for some time. He used to work nights so whenever I went to inspect the property, I had no access to his bedroom as he was usually sleeping when I was over.

Though I have to say, I didn't inspect tenants' bedrooms unless they asked me to.

I am now reconsidering this, not least because I am dealing with HMO licensing in my area so I have accepted that managing the property will have to be more hands on from now on and I'll explain to tenants that HMO licensing itself puts much more emphasis on proactive management than what they might be used to.

So my question is, how do you deal with the privacy issue? If a tenant specifically keeps you out of their bedroom - which they have every right to, of course - and there is an escalation issue such as mine earlier, how do you deal with that?

'Behaving in tenant like manner', if the damage gets worse because something isn't reported, how do you proportion the cost and the responsibility?

Thank you.

28/12/2017 12:56

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions