Housing benefit tenant goading us into issuing a section 21

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Housing benefit tenant goading us into issuing a section 21
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
rosielee
35 Posts
2 Thanks

Hello, I am accidental landlord being fortunate to keep the flat I used to live in when we bought our first home. I have always had someone we know live in and we have been very relaxed with our tenants.
Due to financial reasons, coupled with the complaints received from the neighbours we decided to give my tenant (whom I had a very close relationship with) 3 months notice with a heavy heart.
At this point we had no idea we could not do this and this is where our hell begins. The council advised my tenant she will need a section 21 to leave the property in order to gain herself the first step in getting a council property.
We have been very reluctant to do this, she has two young children and we just can't do it to them.
We have put ourselves under financial strain not to do this but she is now accusing us of all sorts even giving us a list of demands she wants doing to the flat or will run to the council to ask them to inspect her living conditions.
The flat she lives in is huge, very sought after and there really very little wrong with it. I have also been accused of intimidation even though everyone who has seen my emails and knows me have told me they are not intimidating at all.
I found out last week that the emails are not written by her but her mother (my best friend) and she is just cutting and pasting the responses.
My reason for this email is what do I do? I am at a loss, I'm scared to reply to their latest email, for fear my nicely worded email will again be taken to council to accuse me of intimidation.
Sorry for the long email, I am a good person, I am just shocked someone so close to me could attack me in such a manner and I have come to realise as a landlord I don't have many rights.

14/01/2018 18:17

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband