Self managing a previously managed property (pt2)

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Self managing a previously managed property (pt2)
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
G
Grateful
22 Posts
1 Thanks

I'm about to take control of a property that was once managed by my lettings agent.

The existing tenants have verbally confirmed they will be staying there for another year.

I've taken the lettings course, and I understand I will need to

A- Protect/transfer the deposit and issue details of such
B- Issue a S48
C- Provide the EPC/Gas Safety Certificate/How to rent Checklist

1)Since the same tenants would be staying there, do I need to go through any referencing procedures?

2) Should I use a new tenancy agreement, or simply issue a section 48 notice and retain my old lettings agent one? I understand that by not issuing a new agreement, it continues as a periodic lease and thereby the tenants can simply leave the property with one months notice, whereby with a new AST for a year, I'd at least have guaranteed presence for the year. I'd prefer the stability of a years tenancy and I suspect the tenants do too, so is that best?

3) In registering a new deposit, would I need every tenants name on it, or just one?

4) If my existing tenancy expires, lets say, march 5th, when would I issue and sign a new tenancy agreement and all of the above documents for? Could I issue them in February with a notice saying "commencing March 6th?"

it's worth noting my lettings agents are still managing the property till march.

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
24/01/2018 12:56

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions