Change in service charge

You are here : Member Forums Other Change in service charge
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
pamplemousse
65 Posts
7 Thanks

I have received an annual service charge demand for one of my flats. The charge has been increased by around 33% from the previous year. Apparently, this is due to the service charge being incorrectly apportioned in previous years. Now it has been changed from 5% to 10% for three of the flats in the building,including my own. I have been told that the way I have to address this is to request a meeting of all leaseholders to press for a change in the apportioning based on square footage. I am not sure whether the original service charge that I have paid for ten years is based on square footage, rather than percentage of flats in the building. My own flat is a very small studio, the smallest flat in the building.

I am concerned that the burden of activity should lie with me to contact all the leaseholders. Can the freeholder make this kind of change to service charge? I am being told by the management agency that I am fortunate that the re-apportioned charge hasn't been backdated.

All advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

29/01/2018 10:12

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions