Bailiff letters

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Bailiff letters
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
JMH
19 Posts
1 Thanks

I've put this in general as not sure where it fits. We had a tenant and used an LA for management. This tenant used the property address as correspondence address as he was a director in company X. Company X has a commercial property in the same city. Since the tenant left at the end of 2016 we've had a few collection letters regarding parking enforcement and always returned these 'not known, tenant left' or similar (I'm quite deaf so I write rather than phone, and anyway as the letters were addressed to company X I could not open them)

Our current tenant has now received a threatening letter stating the bailiff will come to recover the debt etc. I have contacted the bailiff now that the threat letter has a contact number and advised them of the situation and they say they just need proof - they say a council tax bill will do - from the current tenant.

Clearly this is a bit of a shock for the tenant and she has also been returning their letters. The solution is straightforward but given one cannot legally open letters not addressed to you I wonder what else I could have done to avoid the current situation? the LA would not give me any forwarding address for the previous tenant - fair enough - and clearly did not deal with those letters from the bailiff that I passed on to the LA (so I blame them really!)

What else could I have done?

31/01/2018 12:06

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions