Smoking tenants

You are here : Member Forums Other Smoking tenants
H
H. Cardiff
14 Posts
0 Thanks

I have a five bedroom house, with five tenants on a short hold tenancy agreement. One of the tenants is smoking in her room constantly, which aggravates the tenant who lives next door to her. I don't think that the other tenants like it either. They've asked her to go outside for a smoke, on a number of occasions, but she keeps on smoking cigarettes and weed in her bed. Apparently she claims that the marijuana is beneficial to her health.
The tenant next door to her has tried to get out of the contract a few months ago,(before the smoking issue) as he had found another property with his friends. His current contract at my house ends at the end of June 2018.
The non smoking tenant now claims that the cigarette smoke is effecting his health, is giving him breathing problems and that he can't sleep at night.I realise that passive smoking can be dangerous but can he use this issue to get out of the contract and walk away from his responsibility to pay the rent?
I have asked the tenant to stop smoking, but have not yet received a reply. I can't stop her smoking, therefore what can I do?

27/03/2018 10:34

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions