GDPR and ICO Registration

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion GDPR and ICO Registration
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
PJ
240 Posts
64 Thanks

Hi Colleagues,

GDPR will soon be upon us from my research to date, looks like all Landlords will need to register with the ICO.

There is an on-line course ( free ) - Thank you RLA
Course info - Checkout the resources - Example Privacy Notice, Sample Audit

We will need a suitable crafted Privacy Notice to cover ourselves
( Currently being worked on by our RLA legal team. )
I hope this will hit the mark and cover our bases.
Inc. I will retain all the following named documents for any legal purposes including but not limited to debt. tracing.

I have asked for ( GDPR for Dummies ) guide to make life a little easier and ensure we are legally compliant, hope we can get further examples to clear this hurdle.

I would like a real / relevant example for small portfolio Landlord, i would hope this would also meet requirements for those larger portfolios.

Q - Example: States when tenancy ends - 1 year later you should not retain passport details, see the course, hence i have asked earlier RLA staff IF i state clearly via Privacy Notice i will retain all tenancy documentation for a period of 6 years can i legally retain the passport details for this period - 6 years ?
If you are tracing a tenant you may need to retain these details ?
As i am not legally qualified ( it shows ) can i retain IF i clearly state why i would wish to retain for 6 years ?

I am now "trying" to map out my data flow - From source to destination "year 6"

We understand our business, we know what details we require, we will comply but on occassion need a helping hand to ensure all is in order.

How long can i retain certain sensitive documents .... Legally 1 year , 6 years ?

Passport, NI numbers, Address, email, mobile, Car reg, employer,
Reference info via RLA referencing ( are you compliant with the GDPR Policy ? )
Council tax, Utilities, Phone, cable, B/Band, etc.

There is much to consider, it's probably not too far from what you are doing now just wish to ensure all is in order for the approaching GDPR.

I wouldn't mind new Tenants asking me to inform Council tax, water, electric .... They are told you must contact them yourselves, but i do via websites when possible enter new tenants details.
I think its good practice but the time & effort and no fees helps to maintain cashflow or thats the theory !

Rules, regs, documentation ... How to successfully manage GDPR requirements by - May 25th

Good Luck ! You are all Data controllers !

This member has been thanked by 4 members for this post.
11/04/2018 20:45

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions