Copies of signed AST to tenant(s)

You are here : Member Forums Other Copies of signed AST to tenant(s)
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
O
Old Timer
7 Posts
1 Thanks

Hello

I have 6 student tenants who have signed a fixed term joint tenancy AST agreement. The students have known each other for a couple of years and are all on the same or associated courses. I felt it safe to create a joint tenancy which they all agreed to and accepted their joint liability. My mistake, or so it appears.

When we all met to sign the agreement, two copies were signed by everyone present and one copy was retained by me as the landlord and I gave the other copy to the lead tenant.

I currently have a dispute with one tenant who wants to break the agreement, I appreciate as joint tenants the dispute is with all 6 students as 'the tenant' however, it is only one who wants to leave while the others wish to remain. The tenant who wants to leave is not the lead tenant. He has emailed me stating that as "I didn't provide copies for all 6 joint tenants the agreement is null and void in contract law". Is he correct? Am I obliged to provide copies to all individuals in a joint tenancy or just the nominated lead tenant?

Regards
OT

24/04/2018 22:16

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions