Join the Residential Landlords Association

Returning deposit to tenant

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Returning deposit to tenant
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Mr Apple
Mr Apple
47 Posts
17 Thanks

My tenant moved out a number of months ago, owing a few hundred pounds of rent. Their deposit was held with the DPS.

They have chosen not to claim their deposit back or to confirm to the DPS their agreement on the outstanding rent deductions.

So, as time passed, I have now claimed my share of the deposit using the relevant forms. The DPS forwarded all of the deposit, not just my share. This was a surprise, but I guess they are assuming the tenant will never get in contact.

I want to forward the tenant their share. I only have an email address for them.

My issue (eventually I hear you say!) is that the tenant is not trustworthy so I need to avoid a situation where I provide them the money and then they claim they have not received it. What is the best way to do this?

I have their email address, but there is a chance others may have access to their email so fraud is possible.

To add to the question, the relations with the tenant are no longer amicable due to his eviction.

14/05/2018 09:02

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions