Flat - Structural issues - None Disclosure ?

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Flat - Structural issues - None Disclosure ?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
PJ
243 Posts
67 Thanks

Hello Colleagues,

Has anyone had similar issues and took legal / direct action to help resolve ?

We have a property within a large purpose built block approx. 150 apartments.

When purchased - 3 years ago we were not informed of any major works / defects / major increases via service charges. Recently we have been informed of major building defects not covered by Insurance by the Block Management co.

Over the next few years there will be a massive increase in service charges on top of existing service charges to fund & rectify problems. Recently received masses of documentation - First Tier Tribunal just starting.

I feel we should have been clearly informed when purchasing the property of the apparent survey & reports carried out before we purchased. Only just received documentation covering structural defects last few weeks - Report & Findings dated prior to our purchase - frustrated why this was not mentioned upon queries with Management Company & vendor, if vendor was aware ?

We could have re-negotiated or walked away knowing the extent of these major structural defects.

Is this a case of none dis-closure ?

Looks like the original developer failed to complete the structure to adequate standards although apparently passed by clerk of works.
Either way should a professional Management co. have covered these via their buildings insurance. Problems include - missing cavity trays, cracking / movement in the exterior / inadequate expansion joints.

To the best of my knowledge normal conveyancing in such matters would make the usual enquiries asking Vendor & Block Management company if there are any major problems with the property.
Having just read the Report / surveys carried out by consultants investigating these issues prior to our purchase ( maybe 3 to 6 months earlier ) documentation clearly dated before our purchase hence i feel this could be a clear case of none disclosure.

I maybe need to speak with our original conveyancer and ask them to review this case ?

How best to manage the situation without suffering further financial losses ?

If my chances are slim to none - I would have to cut my losses.

Thank you, much appreciated.

29/05/2018 23:06

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions