Using an agent for the first time

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Using an agent for the first time
C
Cgray
22 Posts
0 Thanks

I have used an agent for the first time in my letting career as they were rated highly by a friend I have no issues with the agent so far.
The tenant they found would not add up on a credit check due to not having a full time contract of employment for her 2 part time jobs.
The agent asked for 6 months rent up front and extra deposit letting her know she needs to pay another six months at the 4 month point in the tenancy.
When they approached her she said she would give notice at 2 months as she was going to vacate the property at six months.
So far no notice has been received with 6 weeks to go, I asked the agent to visit with a pre written notice for her to sign as well as a section 21 if she was not either willing to sign or was not present. As she was not present they left a section 21 but I am fearing the worst having seen it before and think she will go the the council saying she has had notice and wants a council property. At this point the local council will say to her "stay put until you are evicted" as they do.
I seem to remember someone in England took a council to court for acting unlawfully and the council were told in no uncertain terms they should not be giving that advice to a tenant.
Has anyone got any advice on the legal position with councils at present with regard to this advice please?
I am also thinking of selling the flat as I was marketing it at the same time as offering it to let. Would this speed up eviction if I decided to sell?
Thanks in advance

28/06/2018 10:02

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions