Issue with fleas and tenant leaving

You are here : Member Forums Other Issue with fleas and tenant leaving
S
SMC
1 Posts
0 Thanks

A tenancy started in December 2016. In January 2018, they complained that the flat had fleas and stated that they'd been treating them for a while. They felt that the fleas were there due to the previous tenant who had his daughters dog in the flat on occasions. I had the fleas professionally treated and was told that it was unlikely that they were pet fleas unless an animal had been in the flat as they don't survive for more than 30 days without regular 'feeds' of blood from an animal which doesn't include humans. In June, the tenant stated that they had returned. I again had them treated but 2 weeks later, the tenant gave notice to leave. That was the 21st June and she wants to leave on the 29th July. I calculated her rent to the end of the tenancy which is £398 (usually £550 pm). A week later she said that the fleas were still in the flat and that she was concerned about her furniture. She is wanting to not pay the last part months rent due to the problems with the fleas. The professional I had in to deal with the fleas doesn't believe they had returned as he saw no evidence of them when he was in the flat. He also says that there is no need to treat the furniture as fleas don't usually live in furniture as they live in areas were they can feel vibrations and jump towards animals. I haven't seen fleas myself and have only the tenants word saying they are there. £398 is a lot for me to give up when I've already paid twice to have the flat fumigated. Do you have any advice for landlords where tenants have no pets but report having fleas? Do I give in and let her off the rent when the professional says he doesn't feel there are any fleas in the property? I look forward to receiving any advice. Thanks

30/06/2018 22:59

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions