New tenant, not paid first months rent

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears New tenant, not paid first months rent
Q
QueenCatifah
5 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi. We have 5 properties that we let to tenants and we have been doing this for the past 2 1/2 years. For the first time we think we've got a problem tenant. The tenant was found for us by a local estate agency and they took references and the first month's rent and deposit was paid to the estate agency. The first payment to us was due on the 19th June. They asked if they could pay a higher amount at the end of the month as they paid all their bills at the end of the month. I said fair enough, that makes sense. However the end of the month came and nothing was paid. Over this weekend the tenant has made excuses - about his Pin Sentry device being missing so he'd pop into the bank the next day, then it was his daughter in hospital, and today's excuse it that he was expecting a cheque from someone else for the deposit for a static caravan he is selling but this has bounced and he has only £10 to his name. He says that the standing order from the end of July onwards has already been set up and will be paid from his wife's mothers bank account, into which his wife's salary is being paid. This all sounds very suspicious. Why is he reliant on the sale of a caravan to pay the rent if he has a full time job? Why is his wife's salary being paid into her mother's account? What do you advise that I do. He has asked me to wait another couple of days. What action should I take now. It is clear that these people are not financially stable. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

02/07/2018 15:29

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions