Pursuing rent arrears - how worthwhile

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Pursuing rent arrears - how worthwhile
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Modge
32 Posts
0 Thanks

We have an ex tenant who has been promising to pay off £2700 rent arrears. As he has no money his mother called us to a meeting where she promised to pay us these arrears once her house had sold which was imminent (this was in February). -the tenant moved out on 29 march - She wrote some details on a piece of paper and signed it. This was followed up by a handwritten letter saying we would be paid. The house sale dragged on and eventually went through on 21 June. To date we have received no money. I have written to her giving her a cut off date of today and then said we would take legal action - she hasn't paid of course! Her phone no is unobtainable and her son doesn't answer the phone - think he has blocked us - they obviously think they have got away and disappeared without payment. My question is twofold : do we have any case against his mother and any chance of getting our money from her as she promised? I am confident I can trace her to her new address and will follow this through if it is worthwhile. Secondly are we better to cut our losses with her and pursuing our ex tenant directly? I have traced him to his new address so can serve legal documents there. Although he is on benefits, I understand we can still get paid? Please could you give us your opinion on the best course of action. We are very annoyed at being strung along by them and treated like fools!

13/07/2018 12:52

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions