Unresponsive agent - deposit and inventory

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Unresponsive agent - deposit and inventory
A
Accidental llord
32 Posts
1 Thanks

Hi

I’ve been using an online agent to find tenants for me for a few years. They also do reference checks, set up the contract, do the inventory, check in and check out, lodge the deposit.

I have a feeling that they are pretty small (operated by 1,2, possibly 3 people). I usually have to push them to send me the info I need, e.g. proof the deposit has been paid, the inventory report.

On this occasion my issues relate to both:

1 – Late deposit lodgement – My tenants moved in on 2 June 2018. After this date, I constantly asked them to send me info that it had been lodged into the Deposit Protection Scheme. They said that it’s easier to do ‘all the deposits’ for that month in one batch, so they’ll do it later in the month – after all, they have 30 days to do so. However, when this was finally done – the certificate of deposit protection stated that it was lodged on 10 July and that the tenant move in date was 11 June. I demanded to know why this was done outside the legally required 30-day timeframe to lodge a deposit and I have had no response. I always share this info with my tenants but as the date is wrong, could this be an issue? If so, what can I do to rectify this?

2 – Inventory report – As said above, my tenants moved in on 2 June. I paid the agent for an inventory, despite me calling, texting and emailing them to chase up the inventory report I still don't have it - neither have the tenants had the opportunity to look it over. They've been in the property for two months now. What are my rights? What can I say to make the agent act?

If it helps, I read in their paperwork that they are registered with the Property Redress Scheme.

What should I do next? (Of course, after this, I will never use them again).

Thanks in advance

01/08/2018 23:23

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions