Continue to receive rent after I sold the property!!!

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Continue to receive rent after I sold the property!!!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
I
Isaro
123 Posts
0 Thanks
Hello,
In May 2007 I sold a student let pre-let for 07/08. The purchaser was not the greatest to deal with (very secretive), at the time of completing I asked the agent to pass me his phone number, but not the other way around, as I was concerned that I may receive his new tenants rent by mistake. I have twice received the rent from some of the new tenants totalling 6000. I immediately contacted my solicitor who advised to put it in a separate account and forward on via solicitors when his solicitor gets in touch.

My previous letting agent contacted me (we got along very well) to say the owner is hard work and is insisting that I give him the money via the agent. I advised that he needs to ask his solicitor to instruct my solicitor and I will forward the money through that channel only.

I said my worry is that I have no official confirmation that the agent is acting for the purchaser and the new owner may infact owe the agent and he is trying to get the money via me. I am also worried that the purchaser may claim to have never received the money if it doesn't go via solicitor. Also, without instruction from him I don't want to pay his original solicitor for the same reason - they may have fallen out....

anyway.... I have once again received the cash, once again put it to one side. What would you do????

04/10/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband