Housing Benefit Wants Money Back
0) 23 March 2007: Section 21B served on tenant.
1) 29 May 2007: Tenancy terminated. Tenant refused to move out.
2) 1 June 2007: I received payment of rent (from Housing Benefit)
to 18 June 2007.
3) 15 June 2007: I received letter from Housing benefit that they were to suspend rent payment.
4) 16 June 2007: I wrote back telling them that tenant was still in property.
5) 5 July 2007: Keys of property are dropped off at my home address.
6) 6 July 2007: I visited property and it had been vacated.
7) 6 July 2007: I wrote to Housing benefit informing them that tenant had left property.
8) 4 October 2007: I receive letter from Housing Benefit Overpayment Team requesting refund of rent paid between 13/06/07-18/06/07. Apparently, tenant told them that she had moved out on the 13/06/07!
What should I do now?
First, I'm out of pocket for rent unpaid from 19 June 2007 to 5th July 2007. Second,the property back was a mess and cost me £150 to clean it. I know previous tenant is not working, so completely pointless to try to recover any money.
Want to read more?
This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.