Dumping by Tenant

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Dumping by Tenant
J
Jasper12
10 Posts
0 Thanks

I have a protected tenant (pre-April 1989) who has over recent years being dumping large amounts of broken furniture and household junk/rubbish onto the lower ground floor felted flat roof extension, directly underneath his flat. I have asked and given him polite written notices over the last three years to dispose of his junk. He has refused on the apparent assumption that neither I, nor anyone else, can force him to do so as he is a sitting tenant.

The situation has deteriorated significantly over recent months whereby a much larger mound of rubbish and junk now exists outside his bedroom window covering all of the flat roof extension underneath him. Other tenants in the house have also raised this matter, only to be treated, like I, to significant verbal abuse.

Is there anything that I can do to compel him to remove his stored up junk and rubbish that has now become a health and safety hazard both to himself and to others. Does the ultimate responsibilty rest with me to clean up his mess? He is a sitting tenant with housing benefit paying his rent over the last 10 years?

Any advice on how to effectively handle this matter would be greatly appreciated.

05/10/2018 18:48

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions