Tenant threatening court over deposit

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Tenant threatening court over deposit
S
smalltimelandlord
1 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi. I had some very bad tenants staying in a flat that I own and let through an agent. They moved out 6 months ago. The deposit was help with a proper deposit protection scheme. I provided and itemised list to the tenant and withheld all of the deposit.

In the intervening period the agent had an email from the tenants friend who stayed there (although was not on the tenancy) to dispute all of the deductions. However there was nothing from the contracted tenant and no formal dispute was raised with the tenancy deposit scheme.

After 90 days had passed, the deposit was returned to the agent and subsequently to me.

I have now received an email from the tenant asking that I refund them £2000 of the deposit or they will take me to court. I have asked the agent about this and they said that the tenant has no grounds to do so having not previously raised a dispute. They have advised to ignore this "fishing" email.

I am not so sure what the rights are in this case of if the tenant still has grounds to do this. I don't want to give them a free handout of money, but at the same time, this could presumably end up costing me far more in legal fees.

Any advise on my genuine legal position much appreciated.

Many thanks

31/10/2018 16:24

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions