Tenant passed away, partner remains

You are here : Member Forums Housing Benefit Overpayment Tenant passed away, partner remains
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
PMC PROPERTIES
PMC PROPERTIES
468 Posts
55 Thanks

I got advice last week on a case I have. The tenant who I thought was alone has died, her partner is still in the property but not on AST as I didn't know he existed. People say Section 21 which I don't disagree with, though I don't think I should have to wait 2 months with no AST. He cant claim LHA with no AST so no rent.

I have today received a £405 council tax bill. No the tenant before she died was on the old LHA being paid directly to me. My fear is if I tell the council the property is not vacant as this guy is there, they could say if she was not living alone the LHA was overpaid and as I was paid direct I am liable. The tenancy is 4 years old, I genuinely didn't know he was there.

All I really want is a property back to sell. At the moment I have no rent, no possession and a council tax bill.

Aby thoughts?

08/11/2018 14:07

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
Envirovent
John Pye Auctions