When to use a non assured tenancy agreement

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management When to use a non assured tenancy agreement
D
dikod
6 Posts
0 Thanks

I own and manage an old three story terraced house that was converted to five single room plus bathroom 'flats'... one.. one bedroom plus sitting room plus shower-room. One 'proper flat' and one 'one bedroom' i.e. one sitting room, one kitchen and one bathroom complete with bath at the top of the house i.e. MINE, where I live out my Rigsby-like existence except that my tenants are NOT students, lawyers or 'Miss Jones'. They tend to be socially dysfunctional thirty somethings. The last 12 months have been particularly awful with one completely out of control drug dealing tenant who played me like a sucker behaving perfectly at the outset before collapsing into a crack-nightmare in which the police would only refer to our civil agreement and the futility of trying to 'bust' them. I helped other residents flee the 24 hour nightmare via contact with fellow landlords. I evicted the problem last April only for it to be ignored so I attempted again via an 'antisocial behaviour' section 8. The judge was very good and said 'out in one week!'. However the bailiff took a month and finally they were carried out by two PCs following dealing-round-the-clock for that time. The amount of preparatory legal work was huge for me to keep down costs but nevertheless expensive during which I had to spend a week in intensive-care whilst I had an aorta-valve transplant surgery during which time my flat was burgled and ransacked. A major problem during this period was the sheer security that their AST offered them. It has been suggested that a better arrangement would have been to have had "non assured agreement" arrangement in place. Any thoughts?

11/11/2018 14:53

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions