Deposit and damage/theft

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Deposit and damage/theft
D
Diggles
7 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader first time poster. Appreciate in advance your thoughts and wisdom! Im not a professional landlord although have been renting my 1 bed flat for 6 years or so but never had these issues before (lucky? probably!):

Tenant has just moved out, two days after contract ended with no agreement from me (I was out of the country expecting my estate agent to handle this)

Tenant moved all the furniture out bar sofa and table/chairs. This included: Wardrobe, x2 chest of drawers, 3 shelving units, tv unit and a desk.
All the furniture has been returned (except the wardrobe), with significant water damage (inc mould) and some legs missing off chest of drawers.

I presume I can take the cost of replacing these off the deposit?

Items stolen:
Cutlery/plates/cooking pots and pans/wardrobe.

Should I take them off the deposit? Report her to the police? Annoyingly I left her a good reference for her new property!

I have an inventory with photos so the checkout report should show all of the above.

ANY help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again in advance.

James

21/11/2018 22:08

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions