Join the Residential Landlords Association

On the spot council fines

You are here : Member Forums HMO Licensing On the spot council fines
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Selling Up
Selling Up
12 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi all i have recently had an Intent to Fine from the local Council for TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND POUNDS for alleged breaches in management regulations. They gave me 28 days to comply with their request to fit fire doors and alarms in rooms - i already had communal hardwired alarms. It was a leased property and I was ALREADY handing it back before the inspection. it is/was a two storey, non licensible HMO with four male students in it. The council have dropped the Intent to Fine now saying that i should NOT have been given 28 days to comply as the 'offence' was on the day they inspected so therefore i'm still an 'offender' but they agreed to drop it on a technicality. They said their policy is ZERO TOLERANCE tho their published and ratified document approved by their cabinet says otherwise (ie transparency, work with landlords to achieve complaince etc etc). I hadn't broken the law (as agreed by two fire consultants) but had done my own risk assessments based on Lacors. I had many safety features in place but they just weren't bothered. They were just intent on getting 25k out of me which they should never have been allowed to pursue. Has anyone else had this experience?

29/11/2018 11:55

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions