Rent Arrears

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Rent Arrears
Forum Avatar
Martin1967
14 Posts
1 Thanks

I have a tenant who moved in two months ago and has made no attempt to pay any rent.

Rather foolishly, I fell for the sob story of an ill child and that they were desperate for the property and that her 'Universal Credit' will pay the rent directly to us.

Since move in date there have been no rental payments and plenty of excuses while rent cannot be paid, although they have assured me that they have received their Universal Credit payments.

They are now over two months in arrears. The AST is still in term (it is for 6 months so 4 months left).

Deposit has been protected and documents emailed to the tentant (we were unable to personally hand them over as they avoided any meeting).

An EPC is in place as is a Gas safety certificate.

I don't think we will be seeing any money from them so would like some advice on the next course of action. We have attempting to keep everying civil to avoid and willful damage to the property.

This is the first time this has happened in nearly 20 years of renting property so have no experience of evicting and willful rent arrears, especially when is appears to be a tenant defrauding the Universal Credit system.

Many thanks

27/12/2018 12:59

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions