Tenants witholding rent!

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Tenants witholding rent!
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
1 Thanks
Greetings to the forum,

I currently have tennants who partially witheld rent on account of a roof leak which cuased damp damage to one of the bedrooms. I understood this to be unorthodox at the time but decided to allow it as form of compensation due to common decency i guess. The roof was repaired and now the tenant continued to partially withold rent for nearly three months on account of other minor issues. 1)The painting of a wall, the adding of a yale lock to sidegate in addition to already existing latch lock 3)An occassional pump leak from shower pump, which i never seem to see, 4) The repair of a fence which is the liabilty of the neighbour and not concerned with the property in question. Bottom line is, after i do clear there little issues there always seems to be some other issue poopping up.

I have tried to comb through the Housing Act and find no subheading to clarify when or if a tenant is indeed even allowed to withold rent in such a context.

My question is this, when is a tenant legally allowed to withold rent and on what grounds is a tenant allowed to withold rent from Landlord

Thank you Vincent

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
07/03/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions