Join the Residential Landlords Association

How do guarantors wriggle out?

You are here : Member Forums Guarantor How do guarantors wriggle out?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
nicest landlord
nicest landlord
1,143 Posts
328 Thanks

I have a wealthy guarantor of a housing benefit daughter who is driving me mad.

Usually when I present the end of tenancy bill to guarantors they put their head in the sand for a month or 2 and then pay up - sometimes after court action - sometimes before. This guy is different. He is fairly intelligent and seems highly motivated to keep asking me for more and more information in a way I am not used to. eg knowing that I needed a possession order he has asked for a court receipt for the £355.
After providing lots of information and rent statements and inspection reports etc I have told him that his role is not to manage me but to pay what the tenant does n't.
So what I am really wondering is where are the vulnerable points to guarantors attempts to evade payment?
Thus far I have generally been successful apart from one failed county court hearing where the judge was reluctant to let me charge a guarantor rent for a tenant who moved back in after leaving. He said there was a break in the tenancy and so the guarantor was off the hook.
Other than that I have always got my money.
I would really like to hear what members who have tested guarantees before a judge have found.
Tell us honestly, where have your guarantees worked and where have they failed?

30/01/2019 09:35

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions