Join the Residential Landlords Association

SPV question about claiming mortgage interest

You are here : Member Forums Tax Planning and Financial SPV question about claiming mortgage interest
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Mr Ben
Mr Ben
7 Posts
1 Thanks

Hello,

This is a little complicated but here goes...

Background

1. I have a property NOT in my SPV. It has no mortgage and is worth around £175k. It is currently let and I am not planning to sell it or bring it into my SPV (too much cap gains).
  2. I am about to purchase another property through the SPV for the same value (£175k) and was planning to get a LTD BTL mortgage for 75% LTV.
  3. The best LTD BTL rate I can get is around 3.4% but if it was not a LTD BTL and just a normal BTL I could get a rate of about 2.49% - a big difference when claiming full interest within the SPV.

Question

If I were to remortgage the BTL (Non SPV) property using a normal BTL mortgage and have these funds paid directly into my SPV bank account and then use these funds along with my 25% deposit to purchase the SPV property outright - Would I be able to claim within the SPV the interest on the BTL mortgage?

I would of course not attempt to also claim the interest for the BTL mortgage under the self assessment arrange I have for the remortgaged property.

I hope this makes sense.

I have had conflicting advice from two separate accountants.

Thanks
Mr Ben.

10/03/2019 18:48

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions