Join the Residential Landlords Association

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards Temporary Exemption

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards Temporary Exemption
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
NellyT
NellyT
1 Posts
0 Thanks

Hello,

I am in the process of buying a property that has a sitting tenant and an existing STA is in place with the current landlord.

I want to create a new STA but keep the existing tenant who is happy to stay.

I'm aware there are new standards for EPCs as described here -

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/minimum-energy-efficiency-standards.shtml

Would I quality for a temporary exemption based on this bullet point -

• A new lease is created by operation of law. Importantly, this extends to situations such as a statutory periodic tenancy starting, which is a deemed tenancy starting beginning when a fixed term assured tenancy (such as a shorthold) runs out and the tenant remains in occupation. It also applies to succession by a family member on death where there is a Rent Act protected tenancy

Ideally I don't want to have to evict the tenant in order to get the work done around the time of the sale as there is already a lot of work just getting the purchase finalised.
This won't be good for myself or the tenant and we'd rather plan for the energy improvement works after the sale has gone through.

many thanks,

Neil

14/03/2019 12:06

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions