I didn't put their deposit with a scheme. They are moving out, not paid bills and may sue me &#

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy I didn't put their deposit with a scheme. They are moving out, not paid bills and may sue me &#
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
I
itsjustjoe
6 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi,

I live at the property I rent out, renting out 3 of the 4 rooms.

Each tenant has an AST and gave 300.

One tenant is moving out Friday 12th and is refusing to pay her quarter share of the 500 electricity bill. The prior bill was a 200 rebate which she received her share from so over 6 months the charges are not unreasonable.

I've said she must pay her 125 share before she goes or I'll deduct it from the deposit (which is says I can in the AST - from the RSA). She is saying she will sue for 3 times the deposit as I did not protect it under a scheme.

I'm hoping she won't sue, but surely whether I deduct this from her deposit or not she can still sue and I may as well ensure I'm not out of pocket for the bill.

She's also threating to keep the keys if I don't return the deposit in full, but without the keys I will need the locks changed and hence won't return any deposit without them.

Any advice appreciated. All future deposits will be protected to avoid this mess, but what can I do right now, can I get legal insurance, protect it now, should I pay all her deposit back or not?

THANKS!

10/09/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband