Join the Residential Landlords Association

Claiming housing benefit direct from council

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Claiming housing benefit direct from council
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M Cosgrove
M Cosgrove
1 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi, I wanted to ask if anybody has some advice about the following?
I recently bought a house which was split in to two flats, both tenants were claiming benefit and payment was direct to landlord. On completion I instructed agents to take over full management, so a simple change of landlord payment you would think. Basically this took a long time and I didn't get any rent for six months, the agents were pursuing the council for back payments, to cut a long story....... one tenants back rent has been paid and one, the council refused to pay because the claim was too late? Even though both done at the same time. I think this tenant was tardy with his form filling. Anyway I don't understand why I am penalized for tenants or agents tardiness, is there anything I can do to get the rent paid in arrears by housing benefit? I've seen a council officer and was advised to write, I have written twice and got no response, emailed twice , no reply either. Managing agents can't help, don't know or maybe think they're culpable and are keeping quiet. Any advice would be gratefully received.

11/05/2019 14:28

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions