Join the Residential Landlords Association

RLA tenancy agreement

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management RLA tenancy agreement
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
MariaMaria
MariaMaria
10 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi,

Am a new member here, so hi to everyone.
We are in the process of buying a property with sitting tenants, and are looking at the most suitable AST to use (we only have 1 other rental property which is rented via a local agency).
On reviewing the RLA AST, it is very simple in nature and thus easy for LL and tenant to understand, which is great. However, as a result it seems to be missing a lot of things that I would like to see, and I was wondering if others who use the RLA agreement tend to edit it, or use it as it is.
Things I would like to amend include (sorry if the list grows long) :
- Area for tenant to initial every page as read and understood.
- A5. Amend to automatically include the tenants own children, but others only with permission.
- A6. Amend to include their existing cat.
- B6. Add TV licence/satellite to bills list.
- B. Add condition to prevent pest infestations, and ensure all rubbish is in bins at he appropriate time for refuse collection.
- B. Add condition to run the taps for 10 minutes to prevent legionella after being away from the property for 14 days.
- C. Add conditions to not give any keys to non-tenants.
- c. Add condition to not conduct any illegal activity in/on the property, including but not limited to use of illegal drugs.

Also, the tenants existing AST was for 12 months to Sept-19, but we have verbally agreed with tenants and seller to cancel that AST, and commence a new one with us on day of completion. They will be refunded deposit by the seller, and pay new deposit to me.
Tenants are seeking long term assurance, and I verbally offered them a 2 year AST (with 1 year break clause) which they were very happy with, but I gather the standard is only 6 or 12 months.
The RLA AST has no provision for break clauses, so how should I approach? Is it best to just give 12 month contract and verbal assurance for longer?

What are peoples thoughts and how do you all handle desired changes?

Thanks a lot

M

13/05/2019 20:39

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions